Pecan Pie, a American dessert emblem paired with Blason Rose
For the Pastry dough:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3-6 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Grated zest of 1 orange
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves
- Pulse flour and salt together in a food processor until combine.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea size pieces remaining.
- Drizzle water over mixture and pulse several times to combine dough.
- Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time if needed and pulse until mixture holds together when pinched.
- Turn dough out and shape into a disk and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate at least an hour and up to a day before using.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to a 12-inch circle.
- Fit dough into a 9-inch pan and trim any excess dough evenly with the rim of the pan.
- Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Transfer to oven and bake.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove parchment with beans or weights and continue to bake until bottom is dry and golden brown, about 20 more minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Reduce oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, molasses, corn syrup, salt, butter, vanilla and zest.
- Add chopped pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour filling into shell. Neatly arrange pecan halves over filling forming concentric circles around the tart.
- Place in the oven and bake until tart is lightly browned, slightly puffed and the filling is set, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then remove the pan sides and slide tart off pan bottom onto a serving plate