Sophia Roe's Crispy Rice Crudo with Perrier-Jouët Blanc de Blancs
Crispy Crudo Rice Ingredients:
- 1 pound Hamachi fillet sashimi grade, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp high quality olive oil
- Local herbs
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- Citrus oil - (see section below for recipe)
- crispy rice - (day old well-seasoned rice, fried in neutral oil until golden brown pieces, then thoroughly cooled)
- fleur de sel
Meyer Lemon Oil Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups high quality olive oil
- 1 peel from 2-3 unwaxed Meyer lemons
Step 1: Preparing the Crispy Rice Crudo
- In a large bowl, mix lemon juice/zest, soy sauce, shallot, olive oil, local herbs of choice, and sunflower seeds.
- Add fleur de sel and black pepper to taste.
- Whisk to combine
Step 2: Preparing the Meyer Lemon Oil
- Thoroughly clean lemons and peel, avoiding white pith.
- Place lemon peels with the olive oil in a skillet and cook over the lowest heat setting for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down completely.
- Once cooled, pour the oil in a bottle or jar. Be sure to store it in a cool, dark place to allow the flavors to develop.
Step 3: Plating the Crispy Rice Crudo
- Layer the thinly sliced Hamachi on a plate.
- Top Hamachi with the lemon and wild herb mixture, arranging nicely on the plate.
- Drizzle with citrus oil and garnish with crispy rice and more local herbs.
- Finisher options: edible flowers, thinly sliced radish, Serrano chiles, green onions, more citrus zest, dehydrated black olives.